Monday, August 25, 2014

About VAN...

About "Vanguard of Freedom"

Name:  Van Guard.

Regardless of the "root" meanings of the name "Van" and "Guard," which include French, Norman, English, German, I am an American by birth, I am politically a Constitutional conservative, and a patriot.

I grew up in the family business (restuarant/hotel), where I worked until I left college to join the Navy.  I joined the Navy, because my major in college was "pre-med," and to be a corpsman in the marines, at the time I joined, one had to be in the Navy and be assigned to the Marines.

The Navy, had other plans for me.  According to sources (which I promised not to divulge) my scores (high aptitude in communication, high-school military cadet training, and my background in business and management, landed me in the communications field.

When personnel was being re-assigned (out of the communications field) due to the draw-down of the Viet Nam war, the Navy then trained me as a Drug Abuse Counselor. I received training from the Navy for that purpose, then received additional training at the bases at my duty stations at civilian schools, with on-going seminar and conference training for the rest of my Navy Service years.  This extensive training and experience prepared me for entry into the civilian communications field.

Upon leaving the Navy in 1973, I went to work for a local T.V. station, in communications, as a visual communications technician (photography, film, video tape and production in all three areas). During that time I hosted a 1/2 hour news and information talk-show, and due to good results at that, and, because it was a small station, I also began anchoring the morning news programs, and assisting in the news department as a part-time reporter, eventually becoming part of the news department as a News Anchor, Reporter, Editor, and Producer.

I subsequently went to work at another (larger) T.V. station in the same city (population at that time: 70,000).

Although I was a local reporter, and "severely" agressive and ambitious, several of my original news stories went national, thanks to my contacts at then, UPI (United Press International).

My media experience prepared me for my next venture, which was a weekly local community news paper, with which I did my own extensive research into advertising, marketing, promotion, sales.  I was publisher, editor, reporter, photographer, general manager, etc., and Marketing and Sales director.

Additionally:

I have worked in the hospitality industry (hotel/motel) and the restaurant business, every aspect of it, including management, and I have also worked in route sales, commercial truck driving, laborer, carpenter, business and organization administration.

I am fluent in two languages and can write in both:  English/Spanish.

I am also an artist: I paint (oils) and do computer graphics.












No comments:

Post a Comment